Founded in: 1794
Krasnodar is located on the Kuban River about 148 kilometers northeast of the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk. The city is the administrative center of Krasnodar Krai.
The original name of the city was Yekaterinodar and meant "Catherine's Gift" in recognition of the Russian Queen "Catherine the Great". After the Russian Revolution of 1917 the city received its current name Krasnodar, which means "Beautiful Gift".
Encompassing 14 billion RUB, Krasnodar is the economic center of southern Russia and the city has by the magazine Forbes for several years been named as the best city for business in Russia. This is also shown by its turnover, which is the largest in the Southern Federal District.
The territory is involved in investment cooperation with more than 60 countries, and 773 companies with foreign capital are registered here.
Within the industrial sector alone the city has more than 130 large and medium-sized enterprises.
The main industries of Krasnodar include among other things the energy sector, fuel industry and the agriculture and food industry. But also the tourism comprises a large part of Krasnodar’s economy with more than 80 hotels.